Joseph, we are proud of you. Congrats!
Thank you, Joseph, for getting that first Olympic Gold for Singapore to show to our young Singaporeans that determination and hard work can bring success in all fields, including sports and swimming as you have shown.
So much has been said about you that it would be merely repetitive if I were to write an article about your great achievement at Rio 2016 for my blog. Therefore, I would just highlight those headlines of articles, letters and congratulatory adverts in The Straits Times of today (15 August 2016) about you, and that would sufficiently reflect why you are a hero to us Singaporeans:
- “Date with Parliament awaits hero Schooling” (Front page)
- “Companies race to honour Schooling” (Page A4)
- Joseph’s “Aunt in Ipoh says her heart is bursting with joy” (Page A4)
- “A friendship that captured Olympic spirit” (Page A4)
- “A parliamentary moment for hero” (Page A5)
- “You have shown us that no dream is impossible” (Whole-page Select Group advert, Page A7)
- “Thank you for igniting the Singapore spark” (2-page DBS advert, Pages A10 & A11)
- “A deserving gold for self-belief” (Straits Times Editorial, Page19)
- “Champ’s parents deserve credit for risk they took” (by Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan, Forum, Page A21)
- “Hail Joseph, the giant slayer” (by Kuharajahsingam Karalasingam, Forum, Page A21)
- “It’s all about belief in ourselves” (by Visa Sadasivan, Forum, Page A21)
- “Schooling an inspiration to local sport Community” (Page C10)
- “Joseph Schooling – Singapore’s first Olympic gold medallist, Rio 2016” (A Straits Times Commemorative Poster, Pages C11 & A12)
- “Golden sub-51sec feat a fitting 51st birthday gift for S’pore” (by Lee Teck Chuan, Forum Online)
- “Win shows the world a small nation can achieve great things” (by Dr V. Subramaniam, Forum Online)
- “Rio a huge step forward for nation” (by Jon Yoong Kah Choun, Forum Online)
- “A great inspiration to young S’poreans” (by Jeff Tan Hong Liak, Forum Online)
Joseph, you did us proud by making a fantastic start to Singapore’s next 50 years of nationhood and development. It is a historic achievement for you and our country – Singapore. Thank you.
15 August 2016